11.12.2010

Sweaters, socks, scarves and shawls...oh my

Technically, it should be sweater (as in one), sock and a half (as in I have 1/2 a sock theft to finish up the pair), scarf (as in I have put that project down to start a shawl) and shawl (b/c I just started the shawl).

Back in December 2009 I got the idea that I needed to knit a sweater for our then yet to be born baby that was due March 28th. Yarn purchased, cast on and moving along then came Feb 7th and I found myself delivering our baby daughter 7 weeks early. No worries - she's perfect and was in NICU for less than 2 weeks. But wait, I was knitting a 12 mos old size sweater under the guidance of all the moms out there that had told me that babies are often in 12 mos size by 9 mos or so. Using that math, lil bit would be in 12 mos size clothing around the end of December. Until, that is, you factor in that she was born 7 weeks early and is now, at 9 mos, is still wearing 6-9 month and some 3-6 month (pants) clothing. Following her current trend, it will be the middle of summer and I'll be cramming her in to a wool blend sweater (of course, I may have to turn the A/C on super high blast).


I've made decent progress (by my standards) on my 1st pair of knit socks. One is completely done and I'm turning the heel on the second one. I have no idea what I am going to do with the pair once they are done. Probably keep them for me and then start a gift pair.

The scarf? Yea, about that. I got bored and have been focusing on the socks. I think it would help me stay motivated if I was knitting it as a gift for someone but I'm not. Really, not sure what I'll do with it when I'm done.

So, over on ravelry.com you can find a slew of groups - pretty much for whatever your knitting fancies are. I jumped in to a group made up of fans of the showe Criminal Minds. Just this past Wednesday we started a new mystery shawl KAL. I am using this yarn (colorway Summer Blooms)bought from Knitpicks.com. I have 3 more rows to do and then I'll have finished clue #1. So far, so good. I got to learn a new cast on (garter tab) and how to K1F&B and only frogged it once b/c I dropped a stitch in the beginnning and figured it was easier to start over (translation: less stress for me to just frog and begin again since I was still on the garter tab step). The shawl designer, Threebagsfulled, emails a clue every Wednesday. Her directions are superbly written and easy to follow.

P.S. I knit a moebius a year ago. Didn't swatch. I knit tight. It's short. Have not blocked it. Am hoping that blocking will help and make it more to my liking. If not, guess it goes in the 'to be gifted' pile.


No comments:

Post a Comment